Live betting, called by many as in play betting is a very popular way of placing bets with online bookmakers. We'll give you a full and detailed guide to live betting online here. Follow our in play betting tips and predictions. Learn the best live betting strategy and find the best in play betting bookmakers.
In play betting vs standard betting
In the old days we could only bet on pre-match markets of win draw win. With the new technologies bookies introduced Asian handicaps, goal markets or player specials. Still the fun was a few minutes before kick-off. Further growth of online technology allowed the introduction of live betting.
It was a massive change for online betting in the UK. Punters could watch the game and bet at the same time. In-play betting was growing ever since. Now UK punters place more bets during the live game than before the kick off. More and more bookmakers are improving their live betting offering. This means such trend will only continue to grow.
What is live betting?
The term live betting is very simple. It means betting during the game. Once the game kicks off the bookmaker changes the offering on the website. They suspend the odds for a moment and then display new in-play prices.
Based on new prices punters can place bets. Some bookmakers also offer live streaming of games. This means you can follow the live action and place your bets seeing what's going on the pitch. Bookies that don't have rights for TV streaming show quite advanced live trackers. It allows you to track the situation on the field and react with your bets.
Live sports betting
Sports betting on live events is now a well developed product. You can place your bets on more markets that you actually can before the game. You can also bet a wide range of sports and events. Some bookmakers offer over 50,000 games in play every month.
Live football betting
As in pre-match betting it's football that rule in live betting. Punters love football and there is no better way to enjoy the game than bet during it. Imagine watching your favorite team going a goal behind. The prices suddenly get much higher on the team to win. A great chance to get a high value from such bet in play rather than before the kick off. Imagine your favorite player coming on pitch in the 60th minute. You get a chance to back him scoring the goal straight away. Live football betting opens a lot of more options.
Live tennis betting
Live betting on tennis is also great. The action in tennis is very dynamic. Instead of betting on the winner ahead of the game you can now follow the results and decide. You can back your player in every gem, set and the whole match. If you see the player is doing well serving then you can back him to win when he is serving. If you see him great in return back him when opponent is serving. If the favorite loses an unlucky gem or even set you can still back him at much attractive odds.
Live betting on horse racing
Horse racing live betting is a bit harder than football, tennis, cricket or basketball. The races are usually short. You don't get much time to analyze the situation before you need to place your bets. Yet, it's a good way to see how the runners split up in first yards and then make a quick selection.
Live betting rules
There are a few things you need to remember when you bet live. First of all you need to be aware the betting in play is very dynamic. The odds can change very fast. The markets can be active and then suspended in seconds. In play betting is quick and that's why it's so fun.
The main live betting rule is that the bet doesn't get approved straight away. Most of bookmakers reserve between 8-12 seconds to proceed your bet. If during this time something important happens in the game your bet won't go through.
Let's take an example. Chelsea plays Manchester United and the result after 85 minutes is 1:1. You decide to back Chelsea at evens (2.0). You submit your bet and Chelsea scores a goal at the very same time. Your bet doesn't go through. Instead you can only back Chelsea at 1/4 now. Not good for you. But it works both ways. Imagine you place the same bet and it's Manchester Untied scoring not the Blues. If your bet goes through then you lose your stake and have a minimal chance to win such bet.
That's the main rule for in play betting. Other betting rules are pretty much the same as in normal betting. You can read more at each bookmaker terms and conditions sheets.
In play betting sites
Nowadays almost all online bookmakers in the UK offer live betting. Some of the leading brands on top of offering live prices also give you a chance to watch a wide range of events live. It's not a surprise to say that bet365 is the market leader when it comes to live betting sites. Check our quick review of the leading live betting bookmakers next to this text.
Live betting strategy
During betting in play you should follow a few main rules that will allow you to maximize your bottom line. Here are a few live betting tips you should follow:
- Don't bet straight after kick off. Usually the prices don't change that fast. When you place your bet within first 5 minutes of the game you get exactly the same odds as before the game.
- Take time to analyze the stats. It's not a secret that the games are usually won by the teams with more possession. Take the first 5-10 minutes of the game to see who is better prepared. Check who gets more possession, who gets more corners. Which team is more motivated.
- Wait for value. During betting in play the odds will shift with time. If a team you fancy was 1/2 to win at kick off it can be around evens closer to half time. If there are no goals also in second half the price will grow further. Watch the game and see if your team is creating chances. Back their win when the odds are good for you. Of course sometimes your team will score faster but that's how it is. Be smart and pick the right time.
- Back favorite when it's losing. In many games of big teams they get unlucky and lose a stupid goal. The odds move quite a lot then. It's usually a good idea to back such team to win or at least to score next in such case.
- Last minute bets. If your bankroll is big enough you can place some safe bets towards the end of the game. When your team is leading with a goal or two odds will be low. Yet, a bigger stake can give a decent return even when the price is around 1/10.
18+ | T&Cs apply
Best in play betting bookies
- Wide range of in play markets
- Live streaming for main football and racing events
- Number of various promotions